Aotea Pathology is a practice of 13 specialist pathologist doctors who lead a modern pathology laboratory offering a full range of community pathology services to the greater Wellington region.
We provide pathology testing to patients, and pathologist support to requesting doctors, midwifes and nurses.
We also actively contribute to training and medical research and provide pathology services to national health initiatives, including the National Cervical Screening Programme.
The services we offer
- Molecular Biology
- Phlebotomy -- specimen collection service
- Specimen referral service for esoteric testing
As an IANZ accredited laboratory, we:
- collect and transport specimens
- test, analyse and report on them
- provide expert advice and consultation.
We employ around 230 staff in our main laboratory in Courtenay Place and collection centres throughout the region.
Everyday about 3000 patient samples get registered in our laboratory and we undertake about 10,000 pathology tests.
Who we work with
We are committed to providing the highest quality, community pathology service to:
- Medical practitioners, including general practitioners and specialists
- Midwives, nurse practitioners and smear takers
- Insurance companies and immigration medical assessors
- Individuals who wish to self-request tests
- Employers for workplace testing and pre-employment testing
- Commercial work, research projects, clinical trials and surveys
- Alternative health providers
Our service strengths
- Our staff: Our staff are key to our quality service. We pride ourselves on their experience, technical skill and clinical expertise.
- Facilities: We have a modern medical laboratory and equipment with robust procedures and processes.
- Quality: We provide a comprehensive range of quality testing with a prompt turnaround time for reporting accurate results.
- Location: Our collection centres cover the region from Kilbirnie in Wellington South to the Kapiti Coast (Paraparaumu and Waikanae) and the Hutt Valley and many points in between.
- Efficiency: Our courier team operates to a coordinated schedule designed for the timely and reliable delivery of specimens to our central testing laboratory.
- Expertise: Our specialist pathologists possess the clinical expertise, knowledge and professional excellence to provide expert advice to the medical community.
- Dedication: We are dedicated to continuous improvement whilst remaining committed to our Mission and Values, confidentiality requirements and ethical considerations.
To provide a high quality pathology service that is accessible, sustainable and of value to all.